The key to finding a great DWI attorney in Collin County is to ask the proper questions before you retain one. If you have recently been arrested for driving under the influence of drugs or alcohol, then you are going to need to find a quality DWI attorney. The criminal justice system moves quickly, so you need to make sure that you hire someone to represent you as soon as possible.
After you get the name of a few DWI attorneys, you will want to schedule an appointment for your first interview. These are some factors that you will want to consider regarding your goals in finding a high-quality attorney:
- Learn about the DWI attorney’s experience and background
- Thoroughly discuss all of your possible options and strategies
- Find out if this is the attorney that you will want representing you in your case
If you find that this attorney is too busy to meet with you, then pass them off and search for another. If they do not have time for an interview, they do not have the time to handle your case.
It is important to have all of the proper documentation necessary so that the attorney will have the opportunity to learn all about your case.
- Make sure you have all of your court documentation
- Bail papers
- Police report
- Any other paperwork that you received from the police
Questions to Ask
When you first meet with potential attorneys, you will want to get to know more about their experience and background. Here are some questions that you may want to consider asking them during the interview.
- Where did you go to law school?
- Are you a member of any bar associations or organizations?
- How many years have you practiced criminal law?
- How many years of experience do you have with DWI cases?
- How many clients do you have annually?
- What other types of cases do you handle?
You will also want to ask your potential attorney about their charges and what will be required from you upfront. Some attorneys will arrange payment plans with their clients while others require all potential fees up front. Make sure you receive a list of fees in writing so that you can ensure you do not get hit with hidden charges.